Thursday, August 13, 2009

Patience, My dear Watson

Patience is an admirable virtue. Many times I think not about the people but the things in my life which have waited and still waiting to get my attention. I wonder what they would say if they had a mind to speak up.

One of the most patient creatures is the apple that travels with me everyday to work. Poor thing endures all the hassles of car and train journey every week day and still puts forward its best red face on Friday evening when I eventually eat it on the way back home. I don't know why both of us should go through this torture. I should better start bringing a fruit which I relish.

Every time I buy tindora I promise myself to cook it the very next day and every time I forget or just ignore it. They sit in my refrigerator braving all the fungus that might be threatening them. Ultimately when one of them goes bad, I cook to save the others.

I might be one of the few people who owns the Dosa/Idli Grinder and never uses it. In the past so many years, I can count in one hand how many times I might have used it. I, in fact own two of them. My mother got me a lighter one few months back thinking the small and light gadget might allure me. Trust me, nothing yet has convinced me to grind the dosa/idli flour at home. I buy from the super market when needed.

I can't believe why a machine to fold washed clothes has not been invented yet. I actually end up folding at least 2 or 3 loads of accumulated washed laundry. This, after I realize that I better do the work else we would have nothing to wear.

Coupons and I are poles apart. We are never together at the same time. I remember them when I am not shopping and when I am indeed buying things, they are conveniently forgotten at home. Every Sunday, I keep aside the coupon section aside to take out the ones I need and every following Saturday I trash the newspaper as the coupons would have already be expired.

Half of my email box must be filled up by Tarla Dalal and other cooking emails. The amusing part is when I have to make something different, I always google for the recipes and never go through my emails. I should better unsubscribe myself from all these just to make my email box lighter.

There are of course other endless financial concepts, languages and To-Do lists trying to draw my attention which I’ll look at some other time.

10 comments:

Sumana said...

Machine for folding laundry. Every weekend i used to dread the task of folding.
But I remember eating wonderful dosas at your place.
God bless those coupons. I remember i sometimes use to buy things since i had those coupons. Silly me, i still laugh at myself on that.

aMus said...

this was too cute!

the laundry bit, i too tend to keep till i can postpone it no longer or till hubby luckily takes over :)

Meira said...

Oh I agree :)
I finish buying the entire supermarket and then realize the coupons are forgotten at home!
and the laundry folding machine is a great idea. wish they'd invent it soon. sigh!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Tell me about that. The apple story is very similar to mine. I like apples once they are in my mouth. Until then they are a decorative piece for the dining table!

Madhu said...

can understand you completely :)...for me..my yoga mat, which i never use, the countless books i bought thinking one day i will read them.

Hip Grandma said...

you are overworked so don't feel bad about not folding clothes or remembering to take coupons with you.I too hate folding clothes.But I also get put off by the way my husband folds them.My only reason for folding clothes is to see to it that my husband- poor man- does take the task on himself.As for dosas and idlis i grind regularly 'cos my MIL would claim that the son of hers would eat nothing else.when I left him for a month this summer he did not grind even once and managed on rotis.The logic is that when there is a wife/mother/sister/ daughter to slog it out why not?I too wouldn't mind eating the best food available as long as someone else cooked.

ceedy said...

Interesting isnt it....we worry about a whole lot of different things when we are here as opposed to India....

and Btw there is a machine that folds clothes - it is called dhobi.....

Vandana said...

I can totally identify with each one of your examples! Even the coupons that end up being at the store finally would most likely be expired or not applied for some reason or other. And same here for the laundry, I am mastering the art of finding a pair of matching socks from the dryer 3 minutes before we need to leave for school!

workhard said...

Hey i have got a lot of useless things subscribed to my mail. i think i better delete it too..



Domain registration india

The Kid said...

It looks like you have not blogged in a while... I am an infrequent blogger, for bloggers like us, I created zeole.com

zeole.com a unified blog for people of a particular place. In zeole.com you target your readers directly based on places.

With zeole.com it is lot easier for readers to find your writings, and so you get lots of comments too!

To evolve or not...