Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Driving me crazy

To be very honest, the only thing I know about cars is driving it. I am pretty challenged if a conversation revolves around anything except this. I have had few experiences of car breaking down. Thankfully in all occasions, either a friend was around or I did not have to leave home. As long as it does not part with me midway, I am fine with it.

Last winter, one evening I was driving back from work and was stuck in a pretty bad traffic jam. There was a 5 way circle (Golchakkar) which I needed to cross. There was no traffic light and basically everyone had to respect each other and yield in order to cross this. In a nice afternoon, this drive would be a breeze. But not today. People were getting aggressive in squeezing their way through. I was no angel.

After about 1 hour, I was able to come at least close to the circle where I had to turn right. Just then I saw a huge truck in my side. I could see that it was coming closer to me. The driver was also trying to say something, making gestures. On a normal day, I am pretty good at roads and yield to people. If someone wants to go straight but is in a left only lane and lets me know, I am more than happy to let him/her go before me. But it was different today. I tried not to look in that direction. I could see that he was trying hard to catch my attention but I still ignored. He even pulled down his window and braved the winter chill to tell me something. But all I gave him was a deaf ear. It took me long to come to this distance and I am not going to yield to anyone. Finally I came closer to the circle, turned right and zoomed past. The truck was soon out of sight and I heaved relief.

We have grown learning to be aware of strangers. I am somehow very careful regarding trucks and trailers just by their gigantic size. Maybe I should stop judging drivers by the vehicles they drive but I feel I am more comfortable with a person driving a car than a truck.

I was only happy to reach home. In the morning, I again started my car to go to work. I realised that something did not sound/feel right. I stopped and checked and figured out that I had a flat tyre. There was a big nail in the tyre beneath right passenger's seat(In US, it is left hand driving) . I then realised what the driver of the truck was trying to tell me for which I paid no attention.

It seems that in dire consequences, one is supposed to drive a car with flat tire for maximum of 5 miles and that too at a very low speed of approx 10 mph. Well, ignorance is bliss. I reached home driving a car with flat tire for 30 miles at a speed of 45 mph.

12 comments:

Sumana said...

Well J that in itself is a challenge. Driving a flat tyre car for 30 miles amazing. I invariably have this fear that the air pressure in the tyres have gone down below the recommended psi and keep checking it. The traffic wait can get really frustrating.

Sairekha said...

Wow!! You're a lucky gal.. tk care sweets:)

Jaya said...

Sumana, I would have freaked out if I knew I had a flat tire. That's why ignorance is bliss.

Ziah, Yes, I thanked my stars. Good to have you back.

Compassion Unlimitted said...

First timer here from ZIAHs post..Nice reading..You said it all
//Well, ignorance is bliss//

Many time we carry on witout realising the gravity of the problem..and it works !

TC
CU

aMus said...

gawd...i'm squeaking here'cos firstly i can never drive and now we have to face this too!!!

all i can say is that gal, take care!!!and someone up there was really watching over you :)

Tys on Ice said...

well, all i can say is , iam real glad tht u made it home safe..

but u r rite abt our mistrust towards strangers...its real sad...there was a time whn a stranger cud buy sweets for kids on our street...now they wudnt dare...

Vinesh said...

that must've been some record u set driving with a flat tire..freaky but glad you made it

Prats said...

Looks like you've been fortunate. It can get nervy and scary...

Hip Grandma said...

I am also guilty of not paying attention to warning but luckily no serious calamity so far.Actually with my husband constantly warning me of bumps and buffalos I've kind of made it a habit to ignore warnings.Will be careful henceforth.

Jaya said...

CU: Welcome here. That is true. Sometimes not fully aware of the situation is good.

TA: Thanks. Now I check all tyres before I get on to my car and pay more attention at road. To be very honest,with other stuff going on in my mind, I would not be surprised if I stop this habit soon. Another rainy or a snowy day would be a good test.

TOI: I agree to you. There was a time when one could open the door and have the kid playing outside. Nowadays, people have 2 doors at the front.

Vinesh: I would be more happy setting records on things more deserving. But what can I say. Welcome here and please keep visiting.

Prats: When I realised the next day, I was freaked out for couple of seconds. I realised how wrong things could have gone but did not.

HG: I can understand that well :)

dame's diary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dame's diary said...

Ouch ouch...
Thank God nothing bad happened!

To evolve or not...